AWS announced today an EC2 instance with direct access to hardware.
In the announcement, Jeff Barr said this is the result of unique client requests and the result is that “every AWS customer has access to whatever it is that we build, and everyone benefits”
The specific cases for this request are when the customer wants access to the physical resources so that apps can take advantage of low-level hardware features.
This is usually not supported or available in virtualized environments.
The specs of the hardware are as follows:
- 2 Intel Xeon E5-2686 v4 processors running at 2.3 GHz, with a total of 36 hyperthreaded cores (72 logical processors).
- 512 GiB Memory.
- 15.2 terabytes of storage, SSD-based NVMe.
- 25 Gbps of ENA-based enhanced networking.
Please follow the link for the complete announcement:
- Microsoft Releases Windows 11. - October 5, 2021
- Windows Server 2022 now generally available. Delivers innovation in security, hybrid, and containers. - September 16, 2021
- Google Simplifies Hardware Security Key 2FA Options. - August 9, 2021