On April 29,2020, Javier Soltero, VP of Google Gsuite announced that Google Meet will be available free for everyone.
With the current COVID-19 situation “we have seen the power of video meetings” to collaborate with coworkers, friends, or family.
Google emphasizes on security and scalability of the service.
With availability in the coming weeks, Google Meet used to be a paid product under the business GSuite category.
Some of the safety features announced include:
- Robust controls on the host side, in order to admit or deny entry into a meeting, mute, or remove participants.
- No anonymous users allowerd.
- Complex meeting codes. No easy to guess codes
- Video encrypted in transit.
- No addons or plugins. Works on Chrome or any moder browser.
- App for iOS or Androdi devices
- Support for GDPR and HIPAA
- Data not shared to third parties.
You can read the complete announcement at Google’s Blog: https://www.blog.google/products/meet/bringing-google-meet-to-more-people/
- New Features of Microsoft Teams for March and April 2021 - April 8, 2021
- Microsoft Mechanics: Azure Migration. - March 10, 2021
- Microsoft Ignite 2021 Windows Server 2022 Preview. - March 10, 2021